Apr. 20th, 2017

mala_14: (Default)
I sewed on the silk piece in the middle today. I still need to add a frill of the silk under the net strips to finish off the neckline trim, but here are some pictures of the bodice so far. Plus, the dime buttons!

The net parts that look like they're pleated are actually strips that I've folded in half and sewn down by hand. It would have been faster to sew them by machine, but I had them all prepped before going out, so I took it with me to do handsewing while watching The Expanse with some friends. The top strips are narrower than the bottom one because a lot of the bottom one will be covered by the silk frill.

The inside. The strips are sewn down with a running stitch and all the seam allowances have been overcast by hand. The top and bottom edges were finished with a bias strip that I machined on then sewed down by hand on the inside.

And the buttons are dimes covered with a tiny circle of batting, a dime-sized circle of batting, a larger circle of Star Wars flannel, and, finally, an even larger circle of taffeta. The taffeta raw edge is turned under and a running stitch around the circumference gathers in the edge. Then I overcast all over the back of the button to pull the fabric really tightly over the dime and knotted off the thread at the back. I'll probably attach the buttons with a bit of a thread shank.

That's all for now! I decided to upload my pictures and post instead of cutting out the frill.

Profile

mala_14: (Default)
Sabrina

July 2017

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
91011 12131415
161718192021 22
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jul. 27th, 2017 02:40 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios